Light and Dark Timber
Of course the colour of the floor is a significant aspect of a room’s appearance. This floor colour is a fairly permanent part of the room. If we wish to change the colour we have to replace the carpet, vinyl or other floor covering. Or if we have timber floors we have to change the appearance of the actual timber.
Usually people design any room décor changes around the floor colour. But it is possible to change the floor, giving us more options for changing the room’s appearance.
• Do you prefer the look of darker or lighter floors?
• Space. A lighter floor tend to look bigger, giving a sense of space. But light walls with dark floors can also work.
• What does the rest of the house have for flooring?
• The colour of the furnishings should work with the floor.
• The lighting. Is there natural light form windows? You can add lights for a different effect, or use different colour bulbs.
• Cleaning – medium light floors show less dirt.
• What is the room used for. A home theatre should not be too ambient. You will need some covering on walls and floors to reduce echo. A children’s playroom should not have too many hard surfaces, and floor protections.
• Protective polyurethane is good if you have pets, or if the room might be subject to scratching.
• UV light from windows can fade floors. UV screens on the windows or some floor finishes will prevent 99% of damage.
Floor Sanding and Polishing Sydney
A stained or coated timber floor can be re-sanded to reveal the bare wood underneath. This is usually done to restore the timber finish if there has been superficial damage like scratching. But sanding will essentially give a new floor surface that can be retained or refinished in many different ways.
Floor Lime Wash and Floor Stain Sydney
A lime wash will give a lighter colour to any bare timber floor. Lime washes have a pleasant white chalky finish. This is austere and works well with sparse décor (think IKEA), but it can also give a cramped room a feeling of a little more space. It is effective on Light and Dark Timber flooring.
Redecorate with Floor Sanding and polishing Sydney
Timber floors last for decades, even as home décor fashions come and go. But you can change any decent timber flooring to suit the modern trends, or your personal style.
Re-sanding allows a floor to be re-stained or re-coloured in any way that suit you preference.